Trinity Baptist Church opened its doors as the Evergreen Baptist Church on May 5, 1924, at the corner of Naughten and 5th St. Evergreen had a congregation of 50 members pastored by Rev. L. G. Green. In January 1925, the name was changed to the Trinity Baptist Church. During this time the church moved to 528 St. Clair Ave. Then T.C. Phillips assumed the duties as Pastor from November 1924 through January 1927. Under the leadership of Rev. Green and Rev. Phillips, the church continued to grow.
In February 1927, Rev. N.L. Scarborough accepted the pastorship of Trinity and served until his death on July 19, 1949. In 1927, Mrs. Anna Ragland became the Clerk of the church and maintained all of the church affairs with the Pastor. At the 75th Church Anniversary, Mrs. Anna Ragland was honored for over 70 years of service as an employee and Church Clerk. She was bestowed the honor as “Mother” of Trinity Baptist Church. In 1929, Trinity became the first church in Ohio to join the Lott Carey Foreign Missions Convention. During Rev. Scarborough’s tenure, many church auxiliaries were begun and various improvements made to the facilities. On October 26, 1930, the congregation assembled in the old building, had devotion, and then marched to a new church location at 461 St. Clair Ave. where the church remains to this day.
In August 1949, Pastor E.A. Parham was called to Trinity to serve as a supply pastor and in November 1949, he accepted the call to be the fourth pastor of Trinity Baptist Church. Under the guidance and leadership of Pastor Parham, the church was blessed with many additions to the church:
- 1952 – Church Newspaper, “Parish News”
- 1956 – N.L. Scarborough Annex Dedicated
- 1964 – First 10:40 a.m. worship
- 1968 – 8:00 a.m., worship began and continues to this day
- 1976 – The Wayside Chapel, Gym, Third Floor, and Garage were completed
- 1980 – Eastern Union Bible College was organized; Pastor Parham elected first president
- 1996 – December, Pastor Parham announced his retirement as Pastor
Pastor Parham agreed to do whatever he could do to help create a smooth transition of church leadership and remained as Pastor for an additional three months. In 1969, Mrs. Patricia Johnson was elected as Assistant Office Secretary and is presently still giving her service to the church.
In August 1997, Pastor Victor M. Davis accepted the call to become the fifth pastor of Trinity Baptist Church. Under the visionary leadership of Pastor Davis, the church’s ministry focus is Christ centered in service to the people of God through the efforts of several ministries within the church.
During the transition, Pastor Davis led the church in recognizing the Rev. Dr. E.A. Parham as Pastor Emeritus of the church and the renaming of the Wayside Chapel to the E.A. Parham chapel. Also the section of Atcheson Street at the south end of Trinity was renamed E.A. Parham Street. Under the leadership of Dr. Davis, Trinity has a partnership with Lifecare Alliance, which is housed in the church. This partnership provides basic healthcare for disciples of the church. We also celebrated the opening of the Rejoice Christian Bookstore, the Revival Development Corporation, The E.D.E.N. After School Program, The Stratton Missions House, and the Master Plan. The Master Plan includes the physical expansion of the church’s physical plant with the addition of the Trinity Worship Center.
Trinity, through the church sponsored development corporation (Revival Development Cooperation RDC) entered a partnership with Second Baptist Church and Shiloh Baptist Church and the Alpha Rho Lambda Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., has been approved to sponsor the building of “The Whitney’s”, which is market housing in the King Lincoln District of the city. Most recently, Trinity through RDC is presently putting in a place a community reading garden. Also through RDC under the leadership of Lady Tiqua Davis, the wife of Pastor Davis, we sponsor “The Power of One”. This is a federally funded healthy marriage initiative to strengthen the family in our community.
The ministry of Trinity is a growing diverse ministry that presently has several active ministry committed to the growth and ministry of maturing Christians. During the tenure of Pastor Davis, the church has purchased eight properties, donated a lot to Habitat for Humanity for the building of a home, purchased a new piano, remodeled the sanctuary, fenced the parking lots, installed baptistery mural, named the Ragland Room and Madeline Parham Library, the remodeling of the Church School, the installation of the computer lab, computerized church administration, remodeled the administration office, purchased two vans, installation of new steps, a chair lift, remodeling and installation of bathrooms on the main floor and basement, the remodeling of the nursery, a new sound system, two church signs, and a new roof.
The church has been blessed with several ministries during the leadership of Pastor Davis the Scholarship Ministry, the Benevolence Ministry, the Sister to Sister Women’s Ministry, Rite of Passage, Brother Power, a nationally recognized Dance Ministry, the Diaconate Family Ministry, the Bereavement Ministry, the Young Adult Ministry, Organized Youth Ministry, the New Fellowship Choir, Young at Heart Senior Ministry, Chair Aerobics, and Quilting Ministry to name a few. In addition to these ministries, Seven Ministers of the Gospel have been licensed and three ordained. The church staff includes a full-time Executive Pastoral Assistant and Building Manager, and a part-time Minister of Music and Christian Education. Trinity continues to be a leader in support of Missions through Lott Carey Foreign Missions Convention and the Community through agencies such as the Urban League, The Neighborhood House, and King Arts Complex.
Pastor Davis is supported by his wife and Lady Mrs. Tiqua Davis, daughter Adeyah Shae Davis and son, Zion Gabriel Davis. Great Things the Lord has done and Greater things to come!